you are in the market for inexpensive and low maintenance outdoor
furnishings, look no further than plastic patio furniture. When you
choose plastic, you do not need to worry about the upkeep required
for other types of outdoor furnishings, such as repeated staining
If you choose to go with plastic for your outdoor furniture, there
are a few things to take note of first. Some things to consider include:
• It is true that plastic is a less expensive material option.
It is also true that it is often less durable, less sturdy and not
as long lasting as some other materials such as sturdy woods or cast
aluminum or concrete.
• Recycled plastic is a great option for the ecologically conscious
shopper. Help save the forests one chair at a time.
• You will enjoy less maintenance, less up-keep and far fewer
designer looks for a cheaper price.
• Plastic is weather proof. You will not need to worry about
your lawn chair fading in the sun or becoming warped during a rainy
stint of weather.
While plastic has many merits, it is must also be said that most
plastic furniture lacks somewhat in the area of aesthetics. In particular,
it can be hard to find just the color you are looking for to complement
your deck or surrounding environment. Do not despair. You can paint
plastic patio furniture. In order for the paint to properly adhere
to the plastic, you must follow certain protocol. For great results
painting your plastic furnishings, make sure to:
• Properly wash the furniture. You must get all residues, dirt
and everything else off of the furniture. Scrub with water and detergent.
If you are painting older items, you may even need to use a solution
made from bleach and water.
• Sand the surface with a fine grit sand paper.
• Prime the surface. Use a high adhesion binding primer that
is appropriate for plastic and exterior use. Allow the first primer
coat to dry overnight.
• Apply a second coat of primer and allow to dry completely.
• Paint with a 100% acrylic exterior latex paint -- make sure
to choose a paint recommended for outdoor furniture use. Allow paint
to dry and then enjoy your newly refurbished, colorful addition to
The color conscious consumer can choose to paint their furniture,
while the ecologically minded shopper can opt for recycled plastic.
Plastic patio furniture offers an inexpensive solution to decorating
your outdoor space.